Friday, October 23, 2015

Friday Fix! Tips for a Cleaner Work Space

It's Friday!

Last day of the workweek for me. Each Friday I give my office a nice cleaning. This literally takes about 10 minutes but it is so nice to come in Monday to the office organized and everything in place. 




  • Wipe it down. I use cleaning wipes on all the surfaces. Computer keyboard, phone, desk, door handles, you name it.
  • Shred box. Instead of constantly getting up and down to head to the shred bin, I keep a box under my desk. Once a week, I empty the box in the shred bin. This is safe because my office door is always locked. For those in a cubicle, I do not suggest this. 
  • I put all my binders, books and files away at the end of each day. This way things are properly stored where they should be and ready to found and utilized again the next day.
  • Empty the hole puncher. Ah yes. This guy leaves those annoying paper holes all over my office floor. I try to empty it each week to avoid this happening when full.
  • Vacuum. Since I keep my office locked each night, the cleaning crew cannot vacuum my office so I make sure to do it myself once a week.
  • Dust shelves. This could probably be done once a month, but you would be surprised at the volume of dust that will accumulate in your office just from sitting in it. Do this more often if you have alot of trinkets around. 
  • Be sure to empty the garbage daily. Never put in your finished lunch wrappers or food into your office can. Use the communal kitchen garbage can for that. 
  • Lastly, use storage compartments! If you have files, use a filing cabinet. I also have a shelf that I store important large binders on and an overhead storage compartment to my desk that stores alot of the personal things I need  like tea bags, aspirin, a sewing kit, mirror, small comb.

With a little thought, organization and 10 minutes, you can always look forward to coming to work ready and motivated in a space that is organized and prepped!

What is your work space cleaning tip?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At October 24, 2015 at 2:59 PM , Anonymous Jennifer Koshak said...

Every time I get on a long conference call, I clean my keyboard, even in between each of the keys. It's a real pet peeve of mine, probably because I've seen the way other people keep their keyboards.

 
At November 9, 2015 at 2:51 AM , Anonymous German Zollinger said...

Great tips about cleaning your desk area. Vacuuming, dusting and emptying the trash are things I could do better. What you said about the storage compartments I think is one of the most crucial tips. Also, getting rid of what you do not need is also critical. If you don't use it, it will only take up space. Chances are, if you don't know where to put it, you don't need it.

German Zollinger @ Total Clean Equipment

 
At November 9, 2015 at 9:38 AM , Anonymous Christine said...

Thanks German! Small steps make big impacts!

 
At November 9, 2015 at 9:38 AM , Anonymous Christine said...

Thanks German! Small steps make big impacts!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home