Monday, June 15, 2015

Work Hard, Play Hard.. and Be Prepared!



I don't know about you, but my goal this year is to squeeze in as many bike rides, pool days, beach days and outdoor fun as I can with my son, family and friends. Living on the east coast the winters are very long and can be very cold. Summer is short and a time of play, freedom and relaxation. Kids are out of school, vacations are planned, picnics to attend, fireworks the list goes on. Now, if I can ever figure out how to work from the beach!

We are the only society that portrays leisure time as being "lazy". If you are not busy, busy, busy and working late and coming in early, we are not seen as productive in our society or putting in the extra effort in the workplace. People are viewed as "dedicated" when they come in on off days or stay real late. What about balance of life and work? Shouldn't it be enough for me to work 35 hours, squeeze in errands, organize dinner, extracurricular activities, raise my child, fit in the gym a few times, return phone calls and prepare for it all the next day and do it again? Countries across the world have way more vacation time each year, paid time off and many of those countries are reportedly the "happiest" countries in the world. So is there a link between productivity and happiness? Maybe so. I feel very blessed and happy and often choose to create my own happiness in my life. I may never get 3 months of paid time off, but I can use my 3 weeks per year to the fullest!

I decided that on weekends,  I would give myself until noon to do my weekend errands and work and then... I'm out! Time to enjoy family, friends, the sun, water and take it down a notch. I guess I recently realized that if I want to, if I prepare and planned ahead, I can go on my own beach vacation each weekend. Game on!

Work hard, play harder and remember to enjoy the little things. Time flies and so does summer. 

What is your perfect weekend vacation idea?








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home