Thursday, June 11, 2015

Suitcases, Pillows, Delays... Oh My!





There is no place like home..right? Well, call me Dorothy! As Dorothy had taken an awful situation of being lost and not getting home and went with her intuition to fight off flying monkeys, scary apple trees and of course the biggest witch out there, along the way...she found strength she did not know she had and a very strong will that eventually got her home. So what was ending up to be an awesome getaway trip with my love, ended being a bit of a challenge. Such is life!

Upon just boarding our early morning flight home, we were politely notified by the pilot that a mechanical issue was found with the plane, yet it was still safe to fly and get fixed later. (no joke) The pilot was just waiting for approval from corporate to take off. As I looked over at my love with horror on the graphic and specific details the pilot just gave us all about the delay, I quickly expressed my discomfort in flying on this flight. (Sorry kids!) I kept thinking this sounded like a CNN story I did not want to be apart of. I used my intuition and free will and decided to leave the plane. It overcame me like never before and said ABORT! I have never done this before. Gratefully my love took my lead and said whatever you want to do, he would follow suit. As we got our carry on bags and left, we quickly re-booked our flight for later that evening. Waaaaaayyyy later...

We both realized this was going to be a long day and quickly took stock of how we could turn lemons into lemonade! Just like I consciously decided not to take that flight, I consciously decided to make the best of the situation.

Some options would have been to complain and sulk, let anxiety over the experience drown every emotion and fun out of my last day or look at this from a different perspective. An anonymous author once stated, "We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us". With that, I decided I had 12 precious hours to consume every life experience this day would bring!

I quickly discovered a few things during that day as a "not so frequent traveler".

First, people sleep there! Like a lot. People were huddling in corners of gates napping, sitting at gates in chairs with blankets over there head and even on the floor with their own blankets and resting heads on duffel bags. Us? No way.. we were going to make the most of this delay day!

Secondly, everyone had a neck pillow. I had no idea those things came back in style to use on the plane, until I asked for a blanket and pillow earlier on our flight in and was told they no longer provide them on domestic flights. Grrr. Note for next time!

Thirdly, we saw all walks of life! Kids and families heading on vacations, business people rushing to make flights, lovers meeting lovers, families reuniting and college kids going abroad for summer. People from all colors, speaking all kinds of languages and wearing the most eclectic clothing to down right pajama wear. It was a melting pot of America and we did not even leave the gate!

So in the midst of our 12 hour day experience, I came back with my first of several.. 5 Things Learned.


1.Walk. Sitting all day is more tiring I felt so in our best power walk formation, we did just that. We walked up and down each section of the gate taking mental vacations with looking at all the destinations people were going. Barcelona? Sure I'll be there! Jamaica? Yeah Mon!

2. Eat. We had a total of 3 meals at the airport. I was surprised at the diversity to be honest! It might be the best time to try an ethnic cuisine you never had or find your go-to favorite. We saw an Irish Pub, burger joint and a lot of healthy options too which is nice.


Greek salad and water
3. Look around. We found all kinds of interesting art work on display. Some was specific to the geographic area we were in or the city of the airport and others were art displays of specific artists or genres.

6. Bring a blanket. Not many flights provide them anymore and although it might be summer and you are going somewhere tropical, the airplanes are as cold as a meat locker. It will add to your comfort. Especially if you actually do not go anywhere, in our case.

5. Dress comfortably. I quickly observed that so many people wear workout gear when they travel. Bring it on! I never understood some of the passengers I saw with high wedged shoes and uncomfortable suits on just to sit on the plane. I guess if it is a working trip, you might not have that many choices.

All in all ..our lemonade was just fine..and I am happy to report our flight (and the one we left) arrived safely. Although it was a long day for what some might think was foolish or a waste of a day to ditch the earlier flight, I listened to my inner voice and stuck to it. I find the more I listen to it and practice, it doesn't fail me. What I did prevent, was a 2 1/2 hour anxiety driven, panic stricken experience for myself that I know would have been even more unpleasant. Instead we made the best of the situation and learned to take it all in.


Have a travel snafu to share? Let's hear it!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home