Monday, December 7, 2015

How To Create a Mason Cookie Jar!

Gift giving can be tricky. Sometimes you need something that anyone could get, would like and would look nice. This is when I get crafty! Something about getting the glue gun out and being creative brings me so much joy. And my no means do I consider myself creative. But I love to create and I love to give gifts so this is a no brainer. 


I have always wanted to try to make mason jar baking mixes. I always see them on Pinterest and think " wow that looks easy and super cute". Well..it is! With a stop at JoAnne's I was able to get almost everything I needed minus the ingredients. The possibilities are endless with how you would like to decorate the jar, the kind of tag you want to use and of course what kind of baking recipe you want to include. I kept it simple with a chocolate chip cookie recipe. I always have those ingredients on hand and only had to buy the chocolate chips. I chose the holiday chocolate chips in red, green and traditional chocolate which look more festive in the jar. You could substitute for holiday M&M 's as well. I also added some white chocolate chips. 



Step 1: Clean each jar and dry well. This recipe calls for 1 quart jars.

Step 2: Choose ribbon, allocates, tags and twine you would like to use to decorate. If you go to the scrap booking aisle, you can find all kind of materials for the tags in addition to the sewing aisle.  

Step 3: Decorate first! This way you won't be moving the jar once filled and mix ingredients and avoid any glue mishaps in the jar. Using a glue gun and scissors, carefully cut the ribbon to fit around the jar. Glue the ribbon and then fasten around evenly. I also took the lid off and put ribbon around the rim of the canister top.

Step 4: Decorate the lid. I used burlap flowers but you could use artificial holly and berries or Christmas ornaments or feathers. Use your imagination. I wanted the theme to look natural, so those are the type of materials and patterns I chose. 

Step 5: Mix with a spoon 1 3/4 cup flour with 3/4 teaspoon baking soda, 3/ 4 teaspoon salt.

Step 6: Carefully spoon the flour mixture into the jar evenly.

Step 7: Next is the brown sugar. Using spoon, put in 3/4 cup carefully layered.

Step 8: Spoon in 3/4 cup cane sugar evenly.

Step 9: 1 &1/2 cup chocolate chips. This is the last layer. Gently push the chips down firmly to sit on top and make room for the lid to go on. 

Step 10: Make a label that has the rest of the instructions which are as follows.

Combine ingredients with one egg, one teaspoon vanilla and 1 1/2 sticks of butter. Bake at 375 degrees for 9-11 minutes.

Add a special personal note and give to someone special. Makes a great teacher gift or for the postman! I tied a cute holiday pot holder and a candy cane with my jars. I can't wait to give them out!

What homemade gifts have you made before and love to give?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home