Friday, July 24, 2015

Friday's Fix!

Happy Friday!

This week's Friday Fix is something I did not know I needed and now cannot live without.
Photo credit Charged

An athletic roller! I stumbled upon this during physical therapy a few years ago. I always saw it at the gym in the corner, but never really new its purpose. As my therapist directed me to roll on it for my hip injury 3 times a week I quickly found out, it hurt. Yes, it was not pleasurable at first with an injury and I only kept thinking how sore I was going to be tomorrow from doing this.  I could not fathom how this was helping. Well... it did.

It brought blood through my muscles which aided in circulation to areas that were sore. The next day, to my surprise I was less sore and felt great! I had to have one at home. This is not just for the person who works out or is injured. Anyone with back, leg or neck tightness would benefit from using this on effected areas as it would aid in mobility and loosen tight muscles. You can find them at most stores that sell workout equipment. I got mine on Amazon for under $30. You must read the fine lines however. Some are more firm than others. Some also are smooth on the outside and some come with bumps for more of an aggressive effect. They also carry smaller travel size versions that can fit in a duffel bag! As always, it is best to consult your doctor or physical therapist before using equipment like this for an injury. 

Now before I run or workout and after, I always get on the floor with my roller and have my own little private PT session. Rarely do I suffer from muscle soreness and stiffness after using this.

So...when in doubt... roll it out!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home